Friday, July 08, 2005

"For God's Sake, Please Stop the Aid!"

The Kenyan economics expert James Shikwati, 35, says that aid to Africa does more harm than good. The avid proponent of globalization spoke with SPIEGEL about the disastrous effects of Western development policy in Africa, corrupt rulers, and the tendency to overstate the AIDS problem.


Now that the world population is once again feeling good about themselves, like they've "done they're part" to end world hunger by simply going to a silly concert, they can perhaps actually listen to the voice of someone who actually understands the needs of Africa, instead of encouraging the world to continue to perpetuate the problems.

The above lines are the first in an eye opening interview with a real live African economist. And he wants you to keep your money.

1 comment:

Molly said...

Hi Greg! Thanks for the comment on my blog -- it's good to hear from you!

Yeah, you're right: I won't be back out in Philly this fall. As much as I don't love the City of Brotherly Love, I really miss a lot of things about life at WTS. So I'm hoping to be able to make a trek out there, sometime in the not-too-distant future.

You and your wife are also always welcome to come and stay with me in Billings -- I wouldn't even be offended if you just used my house as a free place to stay while you were passing through!