Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Anti-Psalm 131

Here’s Anti-Psalm 131:

Self,
my heart is proud (I’m absorbed in myself),
and my eyes are haughty (I look down on other people),
and I chase after things too great and too difficult for me.
So of course I’m noisy and restless inside, it comes naturally,
like a hungry infant fussing on his mother’s lap,
like a hungry infant, I’m restless with my demands and worries.
I scatter my hopes onto anything and everybody all the time.
Contrast that with the real Psalm 131:

O Lord,
my heart is not lifted up;
my eyes are not raised too high;
I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me.
But I have calmed and quieted my soul,
like a weaned child with its mother;
like a weaned child is my soul within me.

Me:
conviction=1
repentance=1
guilt=0
shame=0
condemnation=0
contentment=1

at least that's how it oughtta be...

HT: JT

No comments: