Sunday, May 21, 2006

Da Vinci Review

I read the book. I thought it was a good story. Yes, the historical atrocities made me want to tear my hair out. But it was still a good story. When I heard they were going to make a movie, my initial thought was, "That is going to be difficult". The story is like an intellectual Indiana Jones story, which is great for a novel (that happens to be written like a movie), but will never play well on the big screen. People don't like to go to the movies to watch people talk about things - no matter how exotic the location, and no matter how star studded the cast.

After hearing the reviews (from all walks of media life) - it seems my entertainment instincts again proved true. No one liked this movie - no one who knows better anyway. Not even the people who want desperately for its content to be true. So the jury is still out as to whether my wife and I will drop the dollars necessary to see it. I think "Over the Hedge" is probably a better bet, or "MI-III" (pronounce it EM-EYE-EYE, EYE, EYE - just for fun). Or perhaps we'll wait for X3, which is sure to be a crowd pleaser, even if they can't stuff 5 years of comic lore into one film.

Anyway, if I do see it, I am sure a review will pop up here in the next couple weeks. But until then, enjoy the following from the internet monk's very funny review of the Da Vinci Code film:

“Listen:if this contrivancy makes you want to abandon Christianity for the new agey Jesus, be my guest. Please leave, and take your empty Jack Daniels bottles with you.”

could I have said it better?

No comments: